Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Using Blogs in Technical Writing Classes

In the September/October issue of Intercom (the STC magazine), there was an article by Tom H. Johnson titled "Corporate Blogging and the Technical Writier." I'm going to be teaching a technical writing class this coming semester at Red Rocks Community College, and reading the article got me thinking about how to use blogs in my class. I don't think I want to go so far yet as to have each student create and maintain a blog for the semester, but I'm considering including a group project where students study how blogs are used.

The article referred to the Fortune 500 Business Blogging Wiki, which is a directory of Fortune 500 companies that have blogs. This might be a good starting point, especially since it includes a list of sample blogs from the companies.

I also read the first couple of chapters of Naked Conversations: How Blogs are Changing the Way Businesses Talk with Customers before I had to return it to the library. I've reserved it again because I think it might be useful in planning this assignment.

At the end of the article, Johnson referred to a couple of studies that I want to look at:

I've included them in my bookmarks at del.icio.us.